Thursday 28 June 2012

Scaling Back

I've just spent the entire morning cleaning out my closet like a madwoman. I couldn't sleep last night, I was too busy feeling energised by the fact that I am finally getting rid of all the stuff that doesn't fit, doesn't suit, I really don't need, etc etc etc. It's really cathartic. I have had many false starts with this clean out, but now I have a motive.

I am going to apply to do my Grad Cert in Journalism next year, which is terrifying and exciting at the same time. Goo will be 1 by that time and I know I'll be ready to tackle a new career by then - I credit him with giving me the motivation, even though it means I will spend less time with him. It's not a new dilemma. I'm sick of just existing, having to forgo social things because of money constraints. My partner wants to do a trade apprenticeship at the age of 32, because post Chef-dom there is little out there he is able to do 9 to 5 Monday to Friday. and I am happy for him, but gosh, I'd like to enjoy life a bit more.

Studying means moving from our little mountain home to the big city - either back to Sydney or Melbourne or maybe Hobart, and this is taking up a lot of discussions at home at the moment. City life is expensive. How are we going to do it? We haven't quite worked that out yet, but we have 6 months to sort it out.

I've decided to sell my good clothes on Ebay. I love the idea of them having another life, they have been sitting so sad and dormant in my closet for years, untouched and unloved. I think I read somewhere that people only use 20% of their entire wardrobe. I reckon I use less. So everything else that wasn't Ebay worthy, is either going to Vinnies or in the bin. We really need very little. Even less right now because I am majority of the time at home. It ties back to my guilty complex that I wrote about a few weeks ago.

So to Ebay. You can check out my stuff for sale here: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/damandvan/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686. I know I'm not going to miss any of these things (assuming they sell of course!). There's one dress I can't bear to part with just yet - even though it doesn't fit me anymore, I just can't seem to get rid of it. I love the colour and the glamour it represents, I love opening my closet and seeing it, and that's not really worth losing it to whatever money it makes me.


No comments:

Post a Comment