Wednesday 6 June 2012

About Me

I want to start this post by being characteristically modest and humble. I do not pretend that my writing is a) well formed, b) interesting, or c) destined for greatness. I want to explain a little where I come from and why I am writing this blog, in the much maligned "Mommy Blog" style.

As a teen, my best friend Cass and I threw ourselves into writing - for ourselves and for each other. We both had incredibly creative minds, so this was one way of expressing it. In the mid 90s, when the internet was still young and quite basic, we had our own Geocities site and basically created our own world. We also individually created our own fan sites (hers was for The Living End, and my was kind of embarrassingly for a certain 90s football player who is now coaching). Our sites were, objectively, the best of their kind on the internet; I even was interviewed for the Melbourne Weekly by a journalist who was impressed with the website. I created this through self taught HTML from scratch. I was the frames master! (Remember Frames?!)

I published my own zine in Melbourne called Stripzine, which centered around the local punk scene in Melbourne in the late 90s and hand distributed them through the independent record stores in Melbourne.

In 2000 I moved to Sydney with my parents and began a really dark phase in my life. Suffering depression, writing was the most natural way to escape during this time (aside from blaring the Sex Pistols through the streets of Neutral Bay) and started writing a novel.

I put my hand up to take over and resurrect my school's student publication, and when there was little to no interest in it, basically wrote all of the articles and stood at the gates handing them out tirelessly.

I decided the natural course for me was to pursue journalism at university... and then I lost my way. I lost the passion, I lost interest in just about anything, and for some reason listened to my father who told me to study business "to get a job", because journalism was a hard industry to get into (I think I took that as meaning that he didn't think I was good enough). So back I moved to Melbourne, and set about forgetting my whole life prior to then, changed my hair, my clothes, my body, so that I was unrecognisable to everyone. I partied, I turned up for my exams...

I ended up with a Bachelor of Arts/Business with majors in German Language and Human Resource Management. I decided I was going to Munich to work for BMW... and then I started dating my partner, who is now the father of my son. I spent many years floating around, taking and leaving various jobs, none of which I enjoyed. I moved to regional Victoria and continued feeling miserable about what I was doing with my life, where I was and how I wasted any talent I could have honed.

It's been 10 years since I've so much as written down my thoughts (aside from a few half hearted blogs which inevitably got ignored), so I am aware how rusty my brain-to-keyboard skills are. For the first time in a decade, I am feeling inspired, contented and motivated, ironically tapping in to that angry teen I tried so desperately to forget.

'Mommy blogging' is a heinous term, but I find so much enjoyment and pleasure in writing my observations and thoughts, I couldn't give a damn if you don't like it! I'm doing it for myself, which really, is the key to good writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment