Tuesday 31 July 2012

Goal Posts: Here. No, Here. NO, HERE.

The title says it all right now when it comes to my son. He is being terribly maniacal when it comes to sleep patterns. One night, he'll wake up every three hours, the next, sleep for seven then wake up every hour, the next, he'll wake up after four hours, then two, then six... and on and on.

This is leaving me terribly tired and unrested. My body used to anticipate his waking times - pretty consistent for the first 3 months of his life, and now, it's all over the shop, and I wake up with a start, and I can't go back to sleep.

Having said all of this, it doesn't not seem to bother him one bit. It actually seems to make him a happier baby during the day. So I take the good with the bad. I know one day I will be able to sleep again, because teenagers sleep all the time. Good. Only 12 years and 8 months to go.

Other mothers baulk at me when I tell them I don't have a routine. I let him feed when he wants, sleep when he wants, I let him lead me, which I find works pretty well given I travel a bit and sleep in different places fairly regularly. I could only envision myself struggling with taking him to my parents for a weekend if he was in a strict routine of sleep/eat/play.

Does this make sense to you? Are you strict with routine? Does it hinder you when you do things like travel, or do you lock yourself at home for the first year or so? I'd be so interested to hear your thoughts on this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment