Monday 28 May 2012

The Guilty Complex

I like to say that as soon as my son was born, I immediately felt a flood of guilt envelope me and has resided in my every cell ever since.

What I mean by guilt is guilt over throwing out food, clothing, nappies, any other goods, wastage, the poor underpaid and exploited people in China/Pakistan etc that make everything I own, the fact that my child has everything to the point where his grandfather is building him a swimming pool just so he can play at their beach house, when others have nothing; that I eat too much, etc etc etc etc.

It kind of boils down to that 'first world problems' gag, ie, those who are struggling don't have time to feel guilt about anything, they're just trying to survive, and here am I whining!

So I am thinking... as a first time parent you get overloaded with tons of stuff and heaps of it you never use... I would like to start collecting this stuff (creams, baby bath gel, clothing, etc) and making some hampers to give to a charity which can distribute them to new mothers who have little money or support? I like to think that motherhood is kind of a sorority that you join which means we are all in it together, and we should support each other in their times of need. When Goo was born, I recieved a beautiful hamper from the CWA that had samplers and knitted stuff and it was really touching.

What do you think, or is it too patronising?

No comments:

Post a Comment