Tuesday 2 October 2012

Ah. City Life.

I have spent the last two weeks in Melbourne which is sadly coming to an end as of tomorrow. I have really enjoyed the time, and so has Junior. We have been on the go everyday doing something interesting - swimming at the Harold Holt pool (one of the best facilities in Melbourne in my view), walking the Tan Track of a weekend, musing over the Edwardian/Spanish Mission/Art Deco homes in the Camberwell area and their owner's stunning renovation efforts. I am someone who thrives on culture and architecture so this has been a real treat for me. The other upshot is that Junior is sleeping better as well, because he is being sufficiently stimulated during his wake times. Bonus!

 Junior ready for a swim!

The looming, brutalist style of the Harold Holt Swim Centre 

A stunning day to walk The Tan Track 

 The Yarra River looking towards Olympic Park... a little wonky

 Preparing for our walk!

 The Old Melbourne Observatory at the Botanic Gardens

The Shrine of Remembrance

Harold Holt, from a different angle... you could photograph it a million different ways.


I have mentioned before that we are looking at moving to a city next year, and Melbourne is up there on the list mostly because it will be easier to juggle study, work and baby having family around to lend a hand. 

I have such an enormous fear of trepidation though, partly because I feel like we are starting from scratch, again, having spent the last 4 years going backwards in city terms (ie, the cost of living in the country, job opportunities, career, etc). Also, because it seems like everyone else is doing something interesting - living overseas, kicking career goals, etc, and here are we moving back to boring old Melbourne. 

Though I've always had a hunger to be different, I realise now, pragmatism is king. How much harder do I need to make raising a child?

A lot to muse over. Lucky there are plenty of fabulous cafes in Melbourne to choose from... 

No comments:

Post a Comment