Tuesday 2 October 2012

Running. In the Other Direction.

I've blogged before numerous times about competitive mothers. Hell, you've all figured out by now how uncompetitive I am, how I shy away from any comparison at all because I feel like, hey, I'm going to come out of this looking bad, so why bother?

I take this approach with most aspects of my life, and it's not necessarily a good thing. I think it has hindered me from trying many a new thing with the thought that, I'll never be good at it anyway. This is bad! The truth is, there will always be someone better than you at everything. That shouldn't stop you from trying. What's wrong with a silver medal, anyway? Or a bronze? I think we live in this modern culture which dictates to us, that you're either the best, or you're nothing.

This way of thinking toxifies all aspects of life. Motherhood is a good example. I am not sure whether it is celebrities who 'regain their pre-baby body', albeit with swathes of staff around them, chefs, trainers etc... but my mother's group is currently consumed with losing the baby weight, and how much each week. It has become a huge comparison exercise. Oh, get me out of here! These girls are quibbling about 5 kgs. So what? Look at your beautiful baby!

Before you scream "hypocrite", yes I am on Weight Watchers, but remember, I am not about losing baby weight. I am about losing 10 years worth of lazy weight!

I was just looking at photographs from the few weeks after my baby was born. I still looked pregnant. But I was so overwhelmed by the task at hand that all I could think about was throwing on my leggings and getting back to work. I think, for my mother's group, whilst it was immensely reassuring to turn up this week in solidarity when you have gone through some tough days, now everyone is mostly established it is now about weight loss and developmental goals (when? what!), I really feel like it has run its course.

I will sum up by mentioning a conversation I had the other day with a brilliant friend, who reminded me to focus on what you're good at, not what you're not. Why try to be a tennis champion when you have the coordination of a 3 year old? I remember as a child feeling that I wasn't as valuable as my brother because he was good at sports and I was so bad, the coach told my parents that I should try other things. The focus was always on sporting achievement, without realising that, hey, I have other strengths too!

Here is a great tweet from Tom Jamieson (@jamiesont)


Of course we need school sports. Without the humiliation of coming last in every race where will the scriptwriters of tomorrow come from.


'Nuff said.

2 comments:

  1. ...and this is why I ski. I have the hand-eye co-ordination of a fish and a highly competitive brother. Not that skiing seems to do much for weight loss... I hope you find a sport you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I am happy to know I am not the only one. I am just surprised it took me to 30 to realize what's important to other people doesn't necessarily apply to me. The joys of getting older!

      Yes skiing doesn't do that much for me, but I suspect it has more to do with the après ski... :)

      Delete