Friday 4 January 2013

Welcome to The Second Act.

ACT II: ADULTHOOD.

I am sitting here on the couch while my husband is watching a tacky old James Bond movie (Yes we got married! Wonders never cease). I have had a couple (OK, maybe a few) glasses of sparkling and we have just finished a discussion on when the next Inspector Montalbano episode is on.

It has dawned on me lately that I have become a grown up. It has taken me to the near age of 30 to  come reach this point, and I must admit, I am pretty damn happy about it.

To be honest, life isn't all red wine and debates on politics. There are the bad parts. The money, always the recurring topic. The raising of children which, while it delights us everyday, is also a struggle. It's not exactly the romantic image of adulthood I had in mind when I was still in my formative years. I am also glad it has arrived because I simply do not have the stamina to keep up with the lifestyle I once lived; when I turned up to work having barely slept, I was too busy having a good time to worry about saving, or building a future, or setting in roots.

Now, my pursuits are planning dinner parties, and trying to re-learn card games to play over a bottle of cognac. Enjoying being "in". Enjoying "quiet times". The things that I once abhorred.

There is no prescription for entering Act II, there is no timeframe, or certain age. I know people older than me who are still in their first act. Act II also doesn't guarantee that I have learnt all of life's lessons and now it is time to reap what I have sown. On the contrary. It is time to take MORE risks, make MORE mistakes and learn MORE lessons. The difference is, they will be calculated.

I don't feel the need to keep up with brand names, or be seen, or please anyone like I used to, as the be all and end all. With the one life I am gifted, I am ready to move ahead knowing that I will not please everyone, nor can I be everything to everyone, but confident in the knowledge that I am being true to myself. And that is more exciting than any adventure I had in my first act.

** I borrowed the theme of living life in three acts from Jane Fonda, which, incidentally, I highly recommend as a biography to read. **

*** I am still working on my posts about my wardrobe, vlog in progress... I am just limited by my internet capabilities up here in the bush at the present time ***

No comments:

Post a Comment