Friday 25 January 2013

Token Mummyblog Post: "Classy" Breastfeeding

I don't want to be another voice in a crowded room throwing in my two cents regarding this Kochie breastfeeding debacle. I don't think more voices are what's needed. I would just like to talk about my experiences and how it's affected me, and my son.

I actually saw the original segment on Sunrise and I really felt for co-anchor Samantha Armytage; she didn't really know what to say when David Koch suggested women be a bit "classy" about breastfeeding in public. All I remember thinking was 'what a dickhead' and why I prefer to watch Today to enjoy Karl Stefanovic taking the piss out of his job, treating breakfast television what it actually is.

In case you have no idea what I'm referring to, in a nutshell, a news item appeared about a woman in Queensland who was asked by public pool staff to move to a more discreet area whilst breastfeeding her child on the side of the pool. Koch weighed in by agreeing with the staff, thinking while breastfeeding in public is fine, women should just be a bit more "classy" about it and consider others around them.

My two issues with this are personal to me. Firstly, I always avoided breastfeeding in public because I already have serious issues with drawing any attention to myself in public and I wouldn't breastfeed just as I wouldn't wear any outrageous clothing, or talk loudly, et cetera et cetera. The truth is, women certainly don't need anyone drawing judgement on them and suggesting that they lack discretion or class because they are feeding their child. There is enough pressure on women to lose weight, go back to work and the like without fearing that breastfeeding in public is going to draw more scrutiny (indeed, the alternative, staying indoors for a year is quite impossible - I last about a day).

Aside from the many hours spent breastfeeding in my car, I feel like this whole debate is playing into the hands of the formula companies. All they have to do is wait for a vulnerable, pressured, exhausted and sleep deprived woman to give up on breastfeeding because it becomes all too hard. The times I have breastfed in public I've felt like I'm trying to breastfeed an ocelot who is scratching and writhing and pulling at clothes and blankets or any shield I am trying to use. The whole process ended up being a major headache and I gave up and went home. Yeah, breastfeeding really isn't fun. It's not easy and it is rather impossible to think about being classy when you're battling.

That said, I am extremely proud of the fact that my son has never, ever been subjected to formula - an inferior product, let's face it, and I hope he is set up for life with all the immunity a human being can enjoy - that and all the dead bugs he's eaten along the way.

The real point that needs to be made, (formula mums ready to bash me), that breastmilk vs formula sholuld never be treated as a choice. Formula is a last resort. The whole system is a shambles, from the breastfeeding support given in hospital when your baby is born to the education about the fact that breastfeeding is difficult, and inconvenient, but hey Gen-Y, guess what, it's actually not all about you. In effect, we've let formula companies fool us for years that formula is an ideal and convenient way to nourish your baby.

It's not the 1960s any more. We are an open minded, and educated (well, that's debatable) culture that severely needs to address and embrace the most marginalised of our society - new mothers included.

As my husband says, why do I care what other people do to their children? I know in my mind that I have given my son the best start in life, and that's all I can really do. I really just wanted to get that off my chest.

Oh, a cringeworthy pun. Publish, publish and go and do something useful, like drink wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment