Thursday 6 September 2012

Sew. A Needle Pulling Thread.

I have been itching to write lately, but the cursor has been flashing endlessly on an empty white screen, mocking me and my lack of... creative flow.

As I've mentioned before, I am fairly reclusive but my partner keeps telling me to get out of the house (which I don't necessarily disagree with, but with a five month old can be quite difficult). So I have been saying yes to everything, trying new things and seeing what this little pocket of Victoria has to offer.

I went skiing for a day with a friend I have known BC and who happens to be in my mother's group. Her parents are managing a lodge on the mountain so they were happy to babysit our kids for a couple of hours whilst we went out on what was an absolutely glorious 'bluebird' day. Unfortunately my legs struggled a bit towards the end of the second hour. The upshot though is that my boy was an absolute angel and didn't miss me one bit! It's great to know this as I will feel a little better about putting him into care, when the time comes (and it's coming a little too rapidly).

A baby free ski. Magic.


Another fantastic discovery has been that I have been introduced to and joined a 'sewing group' with a bunch of excellent and worldly women. I know, I know, a sewing group, it totally conflicts with my badass image right?! Truth be told, I have always wanted to sew and be decent enough at it to make things - cushions, quilts, customise clothing - I am not planning to make my own clothes by any stretch, but just to be able to have things exactly the way I envision them rather than search endlessly to find it, and it also fulfils a certain creative outlet I am desperately needing (though I should be putting more energy into writing!!)

 Yep, I raided the local variety store to create my very first non-hotel-issue sewing kit!

This group happens weekly and I am really happy to have discovered it. I do enjoy my mother's group most of the time, but I love the idea with combining chat with sharing ideas and learning something new.

I'll step back a bit, because before I give the impression that I am working on the next great American (Australian?) Quilt... so far I have managed to hand mend a pair of leggings and half start a broken fly on a pair of jeans. 

I have a tyrannical five month old, remember? I sew when he lets me!

I am definitely embracing this new world though and I already can't wait to get to Melbourne next to check out the fabric stores... 

1 comment:

  1. Vanessa, it was great to welcome you into our sewing group - we all enjoyed your company. Any type of creativity is so good for the soul and since you are a creative kind of gal I'm sure you will be sewing that quilt before you know it! Sewing is very cool these days too you know!

    ReplyDelete